Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Stolen Horse Drives Meachem to Greatness, Madness

Here are some excerpts from a story about Robert Meachem. (Read the Whole Story)


I played running back when I was little and my dad actually used to throw me in the ring with the bulls to see how fast I could run,” said Meachem. “They’d come at me and throw their head and I’d take off, but then they really didn’t try to chase me too hard. It’s much better making a defender miss. That might be the best feeling in the world when you are on the field.





"As a kid growing up in Tulsa, Oklahoma, Meachem had plenty of farm animals to keep him company including his best friend, a horse named Little Man.

“I had him since I was about three years old and he was always with me,” said Meachem. “I taught him everything. He knew how to shake your hand, he could shoot the basketball off his nose.”

While a teenager, Meachem was devastated when his beloved horse was stolen.

“I was so mad and frustrated,” recalled Meachem. “We always had a whole lot of horses but he was mine and after he was gone, I just never felt the same about another horse and really didn’t care to ride anymore.”

Instead Meachem spent more and more time involved in athletics, splitting time throughout high school between both basketball and football. A point guard for Booker T. Washington’s two-time state basketball team, Meachem finished his senior season as an all-state first-team choice after rushing for 531 yards and eight touchdowns and racking up 543 yards through the air with another ten scores.
"

If it wasn't for that horse, he wouldn't have spent those years in college...

1 comment:

Machiavelli said...

That's good stuff.