Monday, September 24, 2007

12/10 is less than Perfect

So many of you have probably been wondering about how can my reviews make any sense since I somewhat routinely score things higher than a 10. Allow me to explain my rubric:

Firstly, you sock cuz you don't understand it. Second, the 10 is really just a kind of a scale height of a score, rather than a maximum. Think of it like this. If the scores for a random population of movies were to expressed as say frequency of score = A exp(-x^2) [scaling to some mean value as its center of course] then 10 would be approximately where the the frequency of the score dropped to a value of exp(-1)*A.

I hope that helps.

1 comment:

Machiavelli said...

how would making something more complicated be explaining it?

you've clearly never taught high school students.